3.1.9 Grades

A system of letter grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and F is employed except for those courses approved for Pass/Fail grading. With some restrictions, students may elect the Pass/Fail option for one elective course each semester. Students electing the option are graded with the usual letter grade, but the grade of P is entered into the academic record for any letter grade of D or higher. A cumulative index of 2.0 is required for graduation for undergraduates, and a 3.0 for graduate students.

In the seventh week of the semester, each faculty member will be provided with grade rosters indicating the freshmen enrolled in his or her classes. Faculty are responsible for reporting a meaningful mid- semester letter grade (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, or F) for each of these students in accordance with the Registrar's Office guidelines. (Rev. 5/6/85; Implemented Fall 1991)

Near the end of the semester, class lists will be provided for each faculty member. These lists should be checked for completeness and discrepancies reported to the Registrar's Office. Faculty are responsible for reporting a final grade for each student at the end of the semester, in accordance with Registrar's Office guidelines. In the event that a student fails to complete a course for illness or other reason deemed adequate by the instructor, the grade of I (Incomplete) is given. The appropriate catalogs should be consulted concerning the various other grades used at the University.

Changes in grade, in most cases, are initiated by the instructor of the course. A change in a permanent grade must also have the approval of the dean of the college where the course is offered if the dean does not approve the change. Occasionally, a change of grade may be initiated by a department chair but only when the course instructor has left the University and cannot be located or is deceased.

If a student has a grade grievance, the student must follow the specified procedure in the Student Guide to University Policies, "Grade Grievance and Other Related Academic Complaints." In cases where a student has filed a grade complaint under these procedures, the decision of the ad hoc committee appointed by the Academic Appeals Committee of the Faculty Senate shall be final.

The Student Judicial System is mandated to impose an automatic grade of "F" if a student is found guilty of academic dishonesty. (Rev. 4/81)

Credit toward a baccalaureate degree is given for all courses in which a grade of D- or higher is earned by the student. In graduate programs, courses with grades lower than a C- cannot be counted toward a graduate degree. In both undergraduate and graduate degree programs, all grades are averaged to determine satisfactory completion of degree requirements. (Editorial revision 5/98)

Please see also "Delaware's Grading System" in the UD Catalog.